Monday 19 June 2023

Shutting the stable door ....?

After breakfast, the battery on Jasmine's camera needed recharging, but we didn't have an adapter for the American charger, so we went into town on the 61 bus to visit Cardiff Camera centre, and sure enough they had a European one in stock for twenty quid. We walked around for a short while, and I took Jas into St John's, where she was baptized in December 2007. I must dig out the little video I took to show her while she's here. She's not been brought up in the faith of the church, but it is part of her story I want to be sure she is acquainted with. Maybe one day the Spirit will awaken a desire for God that will lead her to lay claim to her spiritual heritage, even if I don't live to see that day.

After lunch, I drove Clare and Jasmine over to the University Music department in Corbett Road Cathays for a Jazz Master Class, then visited the School of Optometry nearby to see if I could get an appointment to get two pairs of intermediate range spec's made. I was lucky that a member of staff who arranges orders and fittings happened to be free, so I was seen without needing to book an appointment. As a regular client my last eye test details were available to process the order, so I didn't even need to produce the prescription form I took with me. In ten days time I'll have two new pairs of reading spec's. It will make life a easier, and reduce the amount of time I spend chasing around the house looking for a proper pair of glasses to use.

When I got back, I spent an hour writing, did the regular Monday housework, then cooked lentils and veg for supper. It was ready just as Clare and Jas came through the door at seven thirty. After supper Jas and I went to Thompson's Park to check the moorhen nest in the pond by the statue. It's still occupied and hasn't been disturbed, which is good news. I wonder which will happen first, pond lily flowers coming into bloom, or chicks hatching?

After five hours of debate this evening the recommendations of the Parliamentary Privileges enquiry into the 'Partygate' affair were approved by the House of Commons sanctioning Boris Johnston, even though he resigned his seat in order to avoid punishment. Although some MPs claimed his resignation had made this a pointless exercise, the purpose of the debate was to affirm the values and standards by which Parliamentary government is exercised. Is it a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has gone? Or an penitent aspiration to renounce dishonest pragmatism in politics and restore standards of truth and integrity among members and civil servants? Time will tell.

The question of how the electorate could be persuaded to vote for a persistent pathological liar whose brexit campaigning deceived a slim majority of voters into making a decision which is proving to be more to the detriment of the country than its benefit has yet to be debated credibly in any public forum. Nobody likes to admit when such a massive error of judgement has been made, making fools of people who were so adamantly sincere that that had the best interests of the country at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment