Wednesday 28 June 2023

Ty am Ddim

Rain overnight, then a humid day with occasional showers, a refreshing change. I celebrated the Eucharist with seven others at St Catherine's this morning, then walked over to Chapter Arts Centre to collect this week's veggie bag. Early lunch, then picked up and taken to Thornhill to take a funeral. The deceased had been a keen golfer so the Briwnant Chapel was filled with former colleagues and golf club members as well as next of kin. It was possible to proceed at a leisurely pace with time at the end to sit through Elgar's Enigma variation the recessional music specially chosen.

When I got back from Thornhill, I did the main weekly grocery shopping at the Coop, then had a long chat with Martin, still rejoicing in his marvellous birthday party Sunday evening last. After supper I went for a walk in the park, appreciating the cool fresh air following an afternoon rain shower. Clare was watching a programme on S4C called 'Ty Am Dim' (Free House), about the renovation of a cottage in a rural village in Ceredigion, acquired at low cost because of its poor condition. The house was much more expensive to restore than anticipated, so the profit made when it was sold was reduced. It must have been satisfying to achieve the building transformation, but was it worthwhile for the workers at the heart of the story?

My understanding of spoken Welsh is pretty threadbare, I'm ashamed to say, but I was able to follow it, as much of the technical vocabulary to do with house building was in English. The Welsh spoken in West Wales is clear, making it fairly easy to follow the dialogue and maintain interest in the story told. It makes me think that I should put more effort into acquiring Welsh language. Despite several efforts at learning over the years, I've never succeeded in being able to do more than hear and partly understand and pronounce words correctly. Social conversation is still embarrassingly out of my reach.

No comments:

Post a Comment