Wednesday 7 June 2023

Mishaps and troubleshooting

Back to a clear sky start to the day by the time I got up this morning gone eight o'clock. More news from Ukraine about the impact of flooding from a breached dam on the Dnipro River, a border line between Russian invaders and defenders. Over 230 square miles of territory have been indundated, impacting occupiers and defenders. Each blames the other in the propaganda chess game of modern warfare. This will make the region unexploitable to both sides as a battle ground for armoured vehicles. Russian occupied Crimea will suffer, as much of its water supply depends on the Dnipro. 

It seems to me a tactical decision was taken to breach the dam to make the road across it unusable to the Ukrainian counter offensive. The power station and section of the road on top of the dam were destroyed a few days ago, evidently weakening the dam. Now the breach gets wider and the extent of flooding increases. It was a decision taken without thought for consequences, a Russian own goal, blamed on the defending forces. It's sick and delusional. How long can the criminal Kremlin regime survive in the light of such a foolish action?

After breakfast, I joined eight others for the Eucharist, coffee and chat at St Catherine's, then came home and cooked prawn risotto for us, while Clare had another acupuncture treatment. My fitbit emailed me a warning to re-charge it, at 20% after four days of use. It seems a shorter time than when I first had it, but maybe that's something to do with the display settings, as I prefer an always-on dial display. I took it off to charge it while sitting in the lounge armchair writing on my Chromebook after lunch. It takes a couple of hours normally. This time after half an hour, I found it wasn't charging. The charging interface on the back of the watch was caked with enough sweaty residue to prevent a charging connection. Who'd have thought it? A quick wipe and it was working again normally. Something to think about every time it needs to be charged in future.

It was five when I went to do the grocery shopping at the Coop. Clare asked me to call at Beanfreaks to exchange a big bottle of washing liquid for one of fabric softener. Somehow the cap had been loosened, and it leaked into the shopping trolley. When I took it out of the bag in the shop there was liquid soap all over the place. It had dripped into a plastic bag in the bottom of the trolley and not affected the bag, but when I moved the bag it dripped all over the floor, most embarrassingly. Fortunately the shop was due to close, so no other customers were affected. Younis the manager gave me some kitchen roll and I mopped up the spill apologetically, then made the exchange, which left me in credit, so I bought a rye load and two packs of lemon and ginger tea, which covered the credit and left me paying the difference, although I did get things we needed.

Then when I got to the Co-op checkout later, I realised I didn't have my keys with me, so I couldn't get the Co-op card points. When I got home, I found the keys in the front door lock. Heaven knows why, but at least I didn't lose them, and was able to register them at the Co-op website on Clare's computer. But in using Clare's computer, the only Linux one in regular service, I realised it needed updating. Normally it is very straightforward, but there was a broken library link preventing updating. Fortunately I was able to fix this by following the on screen instructions, and followed this by adding a device that enables a phone's filesystem to be read on the computer. Clare can now transfer files from one device the other.

After supper, I spent the evening recording and editing the audio for next week's Morning Prayer and completing Friday's extra prayer video and uploading to YouTube. All in all quite a busy day. Before going to bed I went out for some exercise to clear my head ready for sleep. I did a circuit of Llandaff Fields, and was surprised that the air was milder tonight under a clear sky than it has been so far this year with the cold wind coming from the east. Here's hoping it stays warm.

The park was completely empty when I set out. All of a sudden on the return stretch groups of people were walking past me, up towards Llandaff. On the main road there were queues of cars normally seen at evening rush hour. Then I remembered there's been a concert in the stadium tonight, the second of two night's of gigs by Cold Play.

No comments:

Post a Comment