Thursday, 27 August 2026

Himalayan tragedy

Up at six thirty to take an antibiotic, and manage the buttock wound at the trickiest time of day when my bowels empty. Thankfully Clare is at hand to sanitize it and apply a dressing. I slept fairly well, but not long enough. Tiredness is inescapable as I can't relax and sleep well enough while I'm in this condition. 

I dread to think what it's like for Nepalese people and their tourist trek guests in the wake of flash floods driving mudslides and destroying villages.  It seems a glacier collapse undermined by melt water and triggered a colossal landslide damming the valley below, building up water until it burst through, spilling rock and mud downhill. Essential infrastructure, roads, bridges hydro power generation and water supplies as well as telecommunications have been hit hard. 1,300 are reported missing and 350 dead.

Clare baked bread this morning and I cooked cod and veg for lunch, struggling with the faintness and swimming head that replaces hunger pangs on an empty stomach. I ate a large slice of banana cake before the meal to fend off the feeling while I cooked and took spoonfuls of kefir yogurt in the hope it would make me feel better. Eventually it did, but the 'toxic head' sensation was inescapable. I couldn't sleep, and walked up and down Llandaff Fields for an hour which improved matters a little. I don't know if it's the infection that makes me feel unwell or the impact of the antibiotic on my digestion, already suffering from the clot busting slow release capsules.

I realised that we didn't have suitable wound dressings in the house not long before the pharmacy was due to close. I didn't have the energy to rush out and buy some, my ankle was giving me trouble. Clare spared me the agony, went out and bought some then dressed the wound when she returned. I meant I could sit in comfort during the evening. My head cleared enough for me to watch a Danish crimmie called 'Nora Sand' on Walter Presents. It features a prize winning crime journalist whose team investigates the background of characters involved in a crime. They show up the weaknesses of Police detectives in advancing the case. It's intense in its portrayal of people involved and the relationships between them, and for that reason it's very slow moving - so much so that I started to doze off at one point. My life is beset with too much drowsiness as it. Time for bed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment