Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Fighting infection

I woke up at six to take the antibiotic, and had to get up at eight as my bowels were threatening to empty. It was messy as I was wearing a plaster over the burst boil. At a time like this I really miss having a bidet. With Clare's help, I got cleaned up and the wound dressed. I only had a fair night's sleep, but didn't feel too tired, and went to the St Catherine's Eucharist taking my bum cushion with me. As I was leaving, a big heavy bag of fish arrived from Ashton's to fill the freezer. It's a lot of work for Clare to package and label meal portion pieces individually, as she's very thorough. It makes meal preparation a lot easier for both of us on a day to day basis. 

Fr Andrew celebrated this morning with eight of us. I didn't stop for coffee and chat afterwards, but bought a pound of church garden cherry tomatoes from Hilary and left. I didn't feel like talking about my affliction to anyone. I went to the Co-op to buy kefir yogurt and came straight home. The aroma of salmon soup with sweet potato greeted me when I arrived - today's culinary treat. I slept in my arm chair for over an hour after we'd eaten, making up for waking up so early. Then, a circuit of Llandaff Fields in bright afternoon sunshine, at 26C with no breeze, so it felt hot. My feet hurt in a way that reminded me of daily walks after bum surgery, while my body was still getting rid of toxins and medication residue in my bloodstream. Without exercise then, recovery would have taken longer. No matter how uncomfortable, it's important to keep moving without overdoing the effort.

Iran and Oman have agreed to establish a temporary navigational corridor through the Straight of Hormuz although the waterway officially closed until the US lifts its blockade on Iranian ports. Trump persists in sanctioning any country trading with Iran. The Chinese government, a key energy trading partner has denounced American policy Meanwhile some ships are slipping through the Straight with their identifying transponder signals switched off. Trump claims 'a big victory' saying the waters are de-mined and fully functioning, but shipping data shows maritime traffic is severely restricted and well below pre-war levels. Trump's bullying rhetoric and lies will do nothing to boost his plummeting popularity. He's making a fool of himself. Iran claims to be rebuilding military capacity hit hard by American and Israeli strikes, importing weapons as well as manufacturing and rebuilding defence systems. Like China, Russia is there in the background unchallenged. Russia was already sanctioned due to the Ukraine war.

Reports are coming in of flash floods with mud slides in the Himalayas, on the border between Nepal and Tibetan China, with hundreds dead or missing and villages destroyed. Glacier ice melting as a result of global warming is the cause. Alpine villages in the lee of glaciers are increasingly at risk of being lost. It's impossible to predict when localised environmental collapses of this kind will happen, but it's inevitable more disasters of this kind will follow. Industrial world leaders, in their own interests denied there was such a serious crisis coming for too long. Now everyone pays, one way or another.


No comments:

Post a Comment