Tuesday, 28 July 2026

Rachel's homecoming

I woke up clear and sharp after the best night's sleep I've had in months. I was only awake for an hour and a half out of nine in bed. I had intended to take a precautionary beta blocker before going to sleep but didn't, partly from tiredness, but my nostril wound wasn't as inflamed or threatening to leak so I relaxed into sleep easily. What a difference sleep quality makes. Although my head was clearer to start with and the morning meds didn't affect me badly at first, by lunchtime the usual effect of brain fog hit me hard, slowing me down, depriving me of the ability to sustain concentration for long, exhausting me.

Rachel flew home overnight from Phoenix for our diamond wedding anniversary on the sixth of August. She arrived at Heathrow at eleven and arrived in Cardiff at two thirty. It was so frustrating not to feel well enough to go and meet her at the coach station but Clare did. Such a joy to welcome her home again, looking lovely and brimming with positive energy despite her loss of sleep.

Apart from a short walk up to Penhill Road and back, and walking inside the house, I've not felt well enough to exercise fully today, and have spent most of my time sitting in my armchair feeling unsteady and deprived of the kind of alertness needed to move confidently outdoors. I can't help feeling that despite stopping the nose bleed, my stay in hospital did me more harm than good.

After supper, Rachel and I walked up and down Llandaff Fields, enjoying the cool evening air, catching up on our lives and hopes. Then early bed. Rachel having to face travel tiredness and jet lag, and exhaustion on my part. 

No comments:

Post a Comment