It seems like I'm settling into a more consistent pattern of seven and a half to eight hours of sleep a night. It doesn't stop the meds from causing light headedness, drowsiness and slowing my thinking. For the most part my head is clear enough to enable me to cope with the ill effects, but it frustrates efforts to live at my natural relaxed pace.
I received a message from my old friend Frank in Puerto Rico responding to a photo I found of Barbara his first wife, taken on our wedding day in 1966. He reminisced about a seaside family holiday they shared with us when our children were young. Barbara was living with a brain tumour which reached crisis point when we were together. She had to be air lifted to London's Guy's Hospital for treatment. We looked after their son Sasha who continued playing on the beach with our girls while Frank was away. Later I assisted at Barbara's funeral. She was Roman Catholic and it was a ground breaking privilege to be invited to take part at that time, soon after Vatican II.
I spent time before lunch transcribing a couple of pages of my Northern Ireland travel diary, in particular a section describing my ascent of Slieve Donard. I didn't have a camera at that time so there are no photos to remind me of the beauty I sought to express in my account. Memories of staying in Northern Ireland are rather vague fifty years on. I did two summer locum stints in Newcastle. Frank, Barbara and Sasha were with us on one occasion, but which one I can't work out. The travel diary is from 1974 so probably it was in 1973, as the 1974 text ends speculating about a return from chaplaincy to parish ministry.
Clare cooked butternut squash and broccoli to go with fish for a potato free lunch. I went Jason's greengrocers after eating to buy some blueberries, then walked in Llandaff Fields. After supper, another episode of 'Kabul', then Ashley rang for a chat, followed by Rachel as she drove to buy an item of kitchen furniture. The signal was so poor and intermittent, it sometimes stretched a gap between syllables in a word. Bizarre transmission latency.
I stated watching an episode of Swedish crimmie 'Beck', a new season, but it was longer than I expected and stopped half way, as I didn't want to go to bed late.
No comments:
Post a Comment