Monday, 14 September 2026

Nature dictates the agenda

I woke up after a good night's sleep to sunshine and wind driven clouds on the move. It's Amanda's sixty second birthday today, so I sang her a greeting on WhatsApp. I also posted a thank you on the Daily Prayer thread in appreciation of the prayers and support I've received from church members in the year since the stroke. 

I've recovered quite well in many respects, but the preventative medication I have to take robs me of quality of life, and leaves me feeling vulnerable. The medics are slow responding to my concern about this. I didn't do much this morning apart from catching up on the news. I cooked couscous to go with ratatouille and fillets of trout for lunch. 

Afterwards we went grocery shopping together at the Co-op, towing a shopping trolley destabilised by uneven pavements, threatening to overturn, despite the pavements being resurfaced last year. Small patches of grass and weeds have forced their way through to the surface, bright green in colour in contrast to the black surface of the tarmac. It reminds me of the thistle that forced its way up through a crack in the barren concrete back yard of St Agnes Vicarage thirty years ago, a sign of the renewing power of nature, despite what we do to degrade and destroy God's creation.

It was tea time before I remembered to go and and collect my prescription meds from the Pharmacy, well before closing time on this occasion. It's not that I completely forget things I need to do, but the drugs slow down and can interrupt the recall process. I'm better at remembering things as the effect wears off in the afternoon. 

After supper I watched the first episode of a new series of 'Vigil' in BBC iPlayer - an international crime thriller about British police investigation into a murder and a disappearance at a scientific research centre of the Arctic circle. Norwegian, Russian and Chinese strategic interests contend with each other at a time when climate change has made maritime passage through polar regions possible all year round and sea bed prospecting for rare earth metals becomes economically feasible. An interesting take on a rapidly changing environment at the top of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment