Another night when I slept fairly well but not for long enough, leaving me drowsy and light headed before I took my medication. After breakfast I went to the Eucharist at St Catherine's. There were a dozen of us this morning. At Clare's request I called at Linda's house after the service to see if there was anything I could do to help deal with her compromised email account, but nobody was in. Linda called later, email panic over thanks to troubleshooting by BT.
Alarm is being raised about the dangers posed by Artificial Intelligence devices so sophisticated they not only solve maths problems hitherto considered unsolvable, but can act independently of their authors to hack into secure systems and conceal their processes and solutions from those monitoring them. Experts are seriously concerned these devices, alarmed that are quickly self evolving and may pose a 10% risk of gaining control over everything digital the world depends on, with catastrophic consequences, to the point of exterminating humankind. What is happening is being compared to designing an aircraft without safety features and expecting people to travel on it. There are no guarantees that safety and security policies and features built into AI algorithms are adequate to prevent humans from losing control of their creation. In simple terms, there's no 'kill switch' built in. Already trillions of dollars are invested in AI data processing centres world wide consuming an immense amount of resources and impacting on our environment. Greed and ambition have conspired to create a monster threatening to destroy us, one way or another.
I bought smoked mackerel for lunch on the way home and cooked veg to go with it. After eating I dozed for a while, then walked in Llandaff Fields for about an hour before supper. Afterwards I watched another episode of 'Marbella'. It's a crimmie about the wheelings and dealings of a dodgy lawyer who also presents himself as an observer of underworld life in the Costa del Sol and the city in particular, whose comments resemble the discourse a social anthropologist might deliver. Curious but entertaining.
No comments:
Post a Comment