Wednesday, 7 October 2026

Grim anniversary

A refreshing night's sleep, only awake for an hour out of nine in bed. I'm feeling the benefit of stopping using almond milk, with a clearer head and more energy. I was able to walk to church at a faster pace and arrive just in time, having started out too late for a leisurely walk. Chilly, damp and overcast this morning. There were eight of us at the St Catherine's Eucharist. I bought yellow courgettes, French beans, tomatoes and a couple of ripe figs grown in the church garden when we met for coffee and chat after the service.

Clare went to town and bought me a new short sleeved pullover. Two of the four I own have moth holes, one has shrunk to the point of being too tight for me, though I'm slimmer than when I first wore it decades ago. I cooked coley, potatoes and French beans for lunch and we had the delicious figs for dessert. Then I went to Boots to get packs of wound dressings - hopefully for the past time, as the bum wound is almost healed.

It's three years today since the Hamas massacre of 1,200 people with 251 taken hostage at the Nova music festival in Israel triggering the devastating war against the Palestinian population of the Gaza Strip, killing 75,225 citizens and 2046 Israelis. The poison of hatred, retaliation and revenge afflicts the Land of the Holy One, if not the whole world. It has aroused anti-semitic attitudes and attacks against Jewish people and institutions regardless of the fact many Jews are critical of the Netanyahu government and disapprove of how Palestinian people are treated.

Elections are due to take place in Israel in three weeks time. Israel has lost a lot of international support because of the extreme ferocity of the Gaza war and the continued suffering of its Palestinian inhabitants. There's little sign candidates will change Israeli foreign policy or consider the possibility of Palestinian statehood. The outcome of the election could have profound consequences for relationships with Gulf states and the international community. As long as America and Israel remain at war with Iran, Israel is vulnerable to attack and will suffer the same economic consequences as Western countries. Days after Israelis go to the polls the American mid-term elections take place. Trump's popularity has plummeted. Opposition to the war will be influential in how people vote. How will each of these elections influence the other?

I find it difficult reading the Psalms at worship when so many sentiments are voiced asking for divine help to subjugate, expel enemies  or destroy them. Some Jews and Christians may interpret this metaphorically as spiritual combat against the evil within ourselves, but others take it literally and use scripture to justify ill-will and violence against others rather than bring it to an end. If only the Gospel of forgiveness and reconciliation was heeded by those locked in everlasting hatred and mortal combat. It's so hard to face up to and endure the pain caused by evil doing to reach a place where people can be a peace with one another.

I had a text message from UHW instructing me to visit an NHS message portal website with an access code to view a message about a General Surgery appointment next month. This follows up from a GP visit when the infection in my buttock scar tissue started. It's healed now, but I'm hoping that I'll be referred for a tissue scan to check if there's any vulnerability remaining. I intend to ask for this, and insist if necessary.

There was nothing of interest I wanted to watch on telly this evening, so I returned to reading Gabriel García Márquez's novel 'El amor en los tiempos de cólera'. My concentration has improved and my head is clear enough to take pleasure reading in Spanish - until I start to get tired and yawn. Then I know it's time for bed.


No comments:

Post a Comment