After a good night's sleep, waking up to an overcast day, I completed transcribing my 1974 Ulster travel diary to a digital file. The question that lingers is whether this was the first or second spell of locum duty I did in Newcastle County Down? Exchanges with dear friend Frank Dall remind me that he and Barbara visited us there at the time she was taken ill with a brain tumour, and had to be flown back to London to be treated in Guy's hospital. It must have been that year when I conducted the funeral of a well known local butcher who took on apprentices both Catholic and Protestant and was mourned by the whole community. There's no mention of this in the text I've been working on. I have to ask Frank which year it was.
I cooked sardines to go with spuds, runner beans and leek for lunch. Clare baked cookies using dates with ground almonds and banana. They were tasty but my digestion stalled after eating a couple, giving me a throbbing head and in need of half an hour's sleep. Could I be mildly intolerant to almonds? My gut is still not working at full strength after taking dipyridamole capsules for so long. A couple of spoons full of kefir yoghurt sorted out the problem this time at least.
I went to Jason's greengrocer's to buy a heavy load of fresh veggies to last us the week. I started to wonder if my liking for almond milk with my breakfast oats might be linked to the same symptoms and went to the Co-op before supper to buy soya milk to use instead. I spent the rest of the evening watching a couple of episodes of 'After the Flood', a crimmie about environmental crime, rural development, ecological crisis in the farming community, with a background of police corruption. Interestingly topical. But I ended up going to bed later than necessary.
No comments:
Post a Comment