Tuesday 18 March 2014

Up the watch tower

It's been warm enough this past couple of days to shed a pullover while walking out in the daytime. Yesterday I worked on preparing next Sunday's sermon notes for the lay preachers, and ended up writing a sermon as well. All morning, I worked on completing my Lent course session for Friday, which puts me ahead of schedule.

As I sat writing and staring out of the window, I noticed lots of quite large black bees feeding off the blossoming Wysteria in the garden, and eventually, I got my camera out and spent half an hour taking pictures of them. You'll find them here. They are three times the size of ordinary honey bees, which feed alongside them. Later I identified them as Carpenter Bees. They bore into soft or rotten wood to make their nests, leaving neat holes on the surface. Impressive little creatures.

I walked into La Cala where Bill came and joined me for a beer. While I was waiting for him to arrive, sitting on the sea front near the mediaeval Arab watchtower, I noticed someone up on the roof and this prompted me to walk around to entrance to see if it was open to visitors. Indeed it was. It's a local tourist information centre and small museum, housing a collection of model sailing ships.
There was a trestle table displaying tourism leaflets and an enthusiastic lady welcoming visitors to enter and look around. There are rooms on two levels inside the tower, plus a roof terrace with views along the coast worthy of a watch tower.
There's also a history exhibition on the ground floor telling the story of the Earl of Torrijos, a General who led a military coup attempt against the tyrannical King Fernando VII. His expeditionary force landed at Velez Malaga, but failed in its objective. He and his followers were summarily executed on the beach at Malaga in December 1831. I was fortunate to find the place open as it opens irregularly at this time of year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment