Sunday 30 March 2014

Mothering Sunday surprise

Clare and I drove up to Alhaurin for this morning's Eucharist. When we arrived the car park of the cemetery chapel was full of cars and a crowd of mourners surrounding a hearse into which a coffin was being loaded. There'd been an early funeral - they can happen on Sundays here, unlike the U.K. It was a quarter past ten by the time the hearse left and the crowd began to disperse. It didn't leave us much time to prepare for our service. It didn't help to discover at the last minute that the wrong set of readings had been printed for the  Sunday bulletin, so getting started was a bit of a shambles and a bit late, but all proceeded as intended as we settled into worship.

We returned by way of the office in Los Boliches, where I attempted to check in via the British Airways website on behalf of Eddie and Ann, and print out their boarding passes. Annoyingly, British Airways on-line check-in only opens strictly 24 hours before flight departure, even though you can check in at the airport a good two to three hours before that. I wasn't in the mood to hang around for three quarters of an hour to complete the task, and had to postpone it until later.

The four of us went out to lunch at the restaurant Olé down the road from the house, where I ate with Peter and Linda last Sunday. This time I had roast pork. It was delicious, but the portion was so big that unusually, I failed to clear my plate. I'm just no longer used to eating large amounts of meat or anything else for that matter. It's something to do with ageing I guess. 

When we got back to the house, Clare and Ann went for a swim in the garden pool, as it was just warm enough. Ann and Eddie have been in a couple of times this week already. Nothing could tempt me into the water this side of high summer. I'm content to be a wimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment