Tuesday 18 August 2020

New Blogger UI not fit for purpose

Google's new Blogger user interface is far from ready to warrant forcing it on users. It's intended to give a degree of consistency between use on a phone, tablet and PC, but its drop down menus are slow both to reveal and dismiss. The 'search label' function is time wastingly slow. Type in a word to add, it doesn't appear in the search box as you type, so you don't know if you have typed it correctly. It can take ten to twenty seconds to show up with a checklist of labels and/or option to create new one. And I don't have a slow internet connection. But there's worse to come.

Last night, I decided to complete the day's post on my phone before bed, having started the post on my Chromebook earlier. The draft showed up on my phone just fine, and I completed writing it, and then posted it without error messages. When I came to check out what I wrote on my Chromebook this morning, the post title showed up, but when I clicked on it, last night's partial draft showed up in the text editor and in preview, not the full version, written and posted last night. Evidently, the text posted from my phone had not sync'ed. I had enough phone signal for it to confirm posting, so what happened? Why did the posting not sync with the Chromebook app. This never happened with posting from the phone on the old user interface. I can only draw the conclusion that the slowness of the new version caused this.

If Google responds in its own defence by saying that the hew user interface doesn't work on seven year old Chromebook, how come every other Google app works just fine and hasn't let me down before? 

No comments:

Post a Comment