Saturday 1 August 2020

Too many mixed messages

A sunny Saturday, with pancakes for breakfast as usual. I went for a short mid morning walk, as exercise and fresh air alleviate the unpleasant sensations, associated with  high blood pressure. Increasing the Doxazin dosage seems to have made no noticeable difference so far.

After lunch we walked over to Diana and Pete's house for a socially distanced up of tea on the lawn in their small garden abundant with flowers. We took our own cups and teabags and Pete supplied the hot water. We shared thoughts about the impact of lock-down on us a our great age, and the challenge of re-emerging into society again when so few people wear marks and observe social distancing rules. 

I received revisions to the eulogy I'd written for Paul's funeral, and finalised Monday's service text. I'll have to be sure when I print it off to print it in landscape mode. I recall, the last time I was at Gwent crem having an A5 service leaflet plus an A4 printout of the eulogy. As the ministers lectern is only large enough for an A5 booklet, I had to be careful juggling between it and the A4 sheet. Indeed, I did end up dropping it after reading, and had to retrieve it during a hymn, less undignified than waiting to pick it up, as I steppe down into the concluding silence. It's so important to minimize the amount of distracting movement at an intense moment like that.  

The government has again swiftly changed the restrictions on public gatherings, in the face of gradually rising infection numbers. It's frightful that there's been such confusing information to the point that people disregard and abandon sensible precaution. The highly popular children's play park on Llandaff Fields has remained locked, even though dozens of others across the city have re-opened following health and safety modifications. This hasn't stopped bigger children from climbing over the fence, and in passive I've even seen parents picking up smaller ones and depositing them the other side, to go an play with their friends. There are no park rangers or police to remind people there's a public health reason for keeping it locked, nor a stated reason for keeping unmodified playgrounds closed. 

I decided to go to bed early, rather than watch the second episode of French drama series 'La Vague' on BBC Four Tonight. Its fictional supernatural fantasy elements are  unreal and improbable to my taste, just as in the French series 'Contact' on Channel Four. It used to be said that religion was regarded as the opium of the people. Nowadays I think it's escapist fantasy fiction which merits this description more and there's so much of it about on a grand ambitious scale thanks to CGI animation.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment