Saturday 21 November 2020

More musical refreshment

Needless to say, I got up late, enjoyed our usual Sabbath pancake breakfast, and then went back to bed. There was nothing inviting about the weather, on a day which started with sun and then low drizzly cloud enveloped the city. I cooked a pasta lunch with His and Her sauces, then walked to the surgery to deliver my prescription renewal request. 

Clare joined me for a circuit of Llandaff Fields, then I did a circuit of streets on my way to Tescos for a few items of shopping. When I came to pay contactlessly the shop card reader asked for my PIN number. The same had happened to the lady in front of me in the queue, and she was having trouble remember her new PIN and needed several tries at it. The checkout guy said this was not an anomaly, but that banking systems run an occasional security check on contactless card use to be sure the card hadn't parted company with its owner. A coincidence that it should happen to the customer in ahead of me?

After supper, I watched last night's Jazz 625 programme again together with Clare, as I so enjoyed the music last night. Then a came across a half hour music documentary programme about a Puerto Rican virtuoso musician called Edwin Colon Zayas, player of the cuatro a traditional stringed folk instrument of the island. It's based on the mandolin, but has five pairs of strings. It got its name from the fact that the instrument was named when it only had four pairs of strings. 

Cuba has a similar instrument called the tres cuatro, with three pairs of strings, although the Cuban version now has four pairs like the early Puerto Rican instrument. It was a delightful programme in which Zayas was interviewed and performed half a dozen songs he'd composed, some of them with his brother and sister in deeply rural settings. To finish the day, I watched the first double episode of a new Icelandic crimmie on BBC Four.

No comments:

Post a Comment