Saturday 14 November 2020

Sacred freedom

A slow start to a rainy day with pancakes for breakfast. I don't know where the rest of the morning went, as the next thing I was doing was cooking a veg stir-fry with prawns for lunch. It wasn't quite the success I hoped for, as I overdid the chili. I'm fine with cooking a paella or a risotto, but don't recall solo cooking a stir-fry before so it was an experiment that nearly worked.

Straight after lunch I went for a walk around Thompson's Park for an hour. It was dry when I set out, but two heavy showers left my rain jacket sodden through by the time I got home to shelter. I changed my jacket, and donned rain trousers before resuming my walk in the Fields for another hour. It didn't rain, the cloud began to break up and the sun briefly put in an appearance. I never have rain trousers on when I most need them, and if I put them on, it rarely rains, or stops fairly soon, or so it seems.

The wound remained quiet throughout exercise. After return, I sat down in the lounge to relax befote making a cup of tea, but I sat down on a awkwardly placed neck cushion, which normally provides some support for the sitting bones and relieves pressure on the most sensitive part. This time it was subjected briefly to the full wright of my body, which was excruciatingly painful. As Clare pointed out, there was going to be bruising after the op anyway. But it's taken four days to appear.

After supper I watched TV on my Chromebook lying in bed, rather than sitting up. The last couple of episodes of Danish crimmie 'DNA' were quite complex and not easy to follow as two interlocking story lines with flashbacks came to their surprising resolution. Crimes were committed by well meaning folk, compounding errors and betrayals. A tragic narrative, but the conspiracies weren't the work of organised crime, but pious decent folk whose zeal to do righteous things led them astray. Things aren't always what they seem, or what you'd like them to be when you see the whole picture. Or think you do. 

It seems this is an important message for our time, for religion and society alike in a time when conspiracy theorists speculate around selected facts, and believe their conclusions are 'scientific', and immune to scrutiny. The aim seems to be the undermining of trust and confidence in the disciplined logical processes of empirical enquiry in which frames the questioning of theories and data quality in all branches of science. Better the freedom to doubt than the prison of utter certainty.

The BBC fact checking team has published a detailed account of testing allegations in one example of electoral fraud Trump announced he'd litigate over. A database of dead people voting plundered from public records, disregarding parent and child namesakes, where the child lives at the address of the parent, or a deceased namesake exists in another state with the same date of birth as the one who voted. Faulty data harvesting, faulty method, creating an illusion of certainty, yet treated as if a certain fact by the so-called leader of the Free World. Such foolishness!

No comments:

Post a Comment