Thursday 5 November 2020

Staycation round two, day ten

I rose early again before dawn, to a clear bright sky, with just Venus brightly visible in the east before the sun appeared over the rooftops, about half an hour after peeping over the horizon. Mercury should also be there, although I suspect losr from sight unaided in the growing strength of sunlight. A lovely crisp chilly day. I really enjoyed doing part of my daily walk in the garden once it warmed  up a little.

I spent the morning completing the reflections I've written for the Parish web offerings with suitable pictures representing the content. It took a lot longer than expected as finding suitable resources proved difficult. There wasn't much to my taste on-line unfortunately, but they're all done and dispatched to Emma now. I wanted to get it done before going in for my op, just in case recovery turns out to be too much of a distraction. It's so nice to be asked and I don't want to let anybody down.

This afternoon I had a phone call from an administrator at The Spire hospital asking if I had filled in a pre-op questionnaire. Twice I said, when I went for assessment at the Heath hospital. Then she asked if I had filled in their form. I went through the information pack I'd been sent and said I'd not received one from them, whereupon she proceeded to question me briefly over the 'phone. Five minutes later called again with more questions. I think she'd missed the questions on the back of the form. 

Had the surgical team at the Heath not sent the dossier, digitally or otherwise? I wondered, but dared not ask. With such increasing pressure on hospital resources I imagine the admin staff are having a hard job keeping up with immediate demands, let alone work required to out-source a day's surgical patients to another hospital. Still, it wasn't another postponement call.

All eyes are on the U.S.A. as postal ballots continue to be counted in four key states remaining. Trump is whingeing loudly as his presumed early lead is slowly eroded, alleging without evidence that there has been foul play and electoral fraud, causing serious embarrassment to traditional Republicans, outrage in sections of the media and among state civil servants, whose pride in their even handed fairness is being wildly slandered. It comes to something when three main news networks, some of them formerly Trump enthusiasts, cut across live broadcasts of his allegations saying his statements are unfounded or false. 

This has no precedent in American electoral history it seems. Joe Biden has edged closer to electoral victory during the day, but not declared prematurely, speaking with the dignified caution of one who has already served as Vice President. He may be old to take office, but for all that, he's far wiser than the old fool who blustered and lied his way through the past four years as head of state. No electoral threshold was crossed during the day, however. Tomorrow maybe?

It's Guy Fawkes/Bonfire night with the sound of fireworks and the smell of burning in the air, though no big display at the SWALEC stadium this year. I didn't bother to go out into the cold and take a look, idle telly watching in the warm won the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment