Thursday 19 November 2020

Tentative cause for optimism

Eight days after the op, and I'm feeling the benefit of the surgical work done, even if it wasn't the hoped for final round. I slept comfortably enough to wake up only twice in the night; three spells of two and a half hours sleep instead of five or six spells of up to an hour and a half to go to the toilet. Relaxed, like being on holiday, and waking up feeling fresh!

A morning of clouds and sunshine, and a walk to St John's for the midweek Eucharist. There were eight of us today. Just after I got back the heavens opened and Clare had to rush out and rescue a life full of damp towels before they got soaked through. It didn't last long, and she was able to put them out again to dry under a bright blue almost cloudless sky. Even so, it's been cold all day, five degrees C after sunset. Walking in the chill clear air after lunch was very invigorating, I had the energy to walk further than my daily quota but decided not to over-stretch myself. It'll take time to build up lasting stamina.

It's pleasing to hear that the third covid-19 vaccine, developed in Oxford not only has a 95% success rate but is as effective in people our age as it is with people half our age. The experts are still entertaining us guesses about how long it'll take to vaccinate most of the planet's population of neediest people, and how family Christmas gatherings are going to be possible without dramatically increasing infection rates, as it will be the middle of next year before vaccination will impact on the statistics.

After supper I worked on the last chapter of my novel for an hour. I've had to wait a week for inspiration to propel me nearer to closure. Still not there, but satisfied with what I wrote. Then Clare and I watched the second half of 1948 rom-com movie musical 'Easter Parade' starring Freda Astaire and Judy Garland with music by Irving Berlin, part of a classic season of old movies on BBC Four this autumn.

Much of the movie is set on a vaudeville stage with spectacular solo and ensemble dance set pieces with artistically crafted stage backdrops, a Technicolour feast for the eyes in every sense. It had songs in it that I half remembered from hearing them in childhood. Lots of fun, cheerful escapist nostalgia for a chilly night in covid times, and not a face mask in sight anywhere on screen with all that dancing cheek to cheek,

No comments:

Post a Comment