Friday 16 April 2021

A new kind of ethical dilemma

Another bright cold sunny day, good conditions to try out my new Zoom lens, so I was out walking in the park by ten thirty. It's pleasant to handle and produces the kind of results I hoped for, getting shots of birds high up in trees not yet covered with foliage.

This past couple of weeks the cricket pitches in both parks have been mown and boundaries marked. One group of amateur cricketers I saw were in the throes of learning how to assemble a large mobile frame on wheels designed for use as a 'practice nets' structure. There's been the occasional informal match, although how legal that was under covid restrictions I don't know, and almost daily when it's dry small groups are out there practicing bowling, catching or batting. 

As I was walking over Llandaff Fields this morning, the astro-turf wicket was occupied by two guys. One was practicing his batting, but the other wasn't bowling to him in the normal way. He was delivering a white cricket ball to the batsman using the kind of throwing device beloved of dog walkers. The park is rarely without several people making use of this shoulder pain saving device to send a hound speeding off a hundred metres to retrieve a ball. I wonder how easy it is to pitch a cricket ball with speed and accuracy down a twenty metre wicket?

Clare made a pizza for lunch as she was also baking bread and had dough to spare. I went out for another walk after lunch, and then watched New Amsterdam on catch-up. This week an interesting modern dileema was presented in one story line. A young couple meet for the first time and fall in love at College. Some years later as they get ready to be married they both do a DNA test which reveals that by virtue of sperm donation, both have the same father. They are soul mates. What should they do? Marry and keep the fact secret, but adopt children on the grounds that they cannot have children otherwise. It's something I never thought of before. I wonder if it's happened in real life?

I had a phone call from Fr Phelim this afternoon, we've been trying to catch up with each other for the past week or so. I wanted to find out how he was getting on in his new role as Ministry Area Leader, even thought it's still early days. He told me that St German's is going to be in the Roath Ministry Area from the new year onward, and no longer under his watchful eye. St German's is one of the Parishes that remained open for Sunday worship, over the past year, except when it was legally obliged to close, Both St German's and St Saviour's are seeing a return of worshippers in numbers equal to if not greater than before the pandemic, reflecting their history of rootedness in the communities they serve. He's asked me to cover the St German's Sunday Eucharist for him a week Sunday. I'll be very happy to do that. It must be the best part of eighteen months since I was there last.

After supper I binge watched several episodes of 'Non Uccidere' series three in which the mafia background history of the is spun out alongside the weekly case study in dysfunctional family crimes. Some of the stories make me wonder if they reflects modern domestic reality too.

No comments:

Post a Comment