Sunday 11 April 2021

Digital birthday

I slept longer than usual, tired after yesterday's extra long walk, but came down to breakfast to a table, half covered with food and half with cards and presents. It's hard to believe that I'm seventy six today. As well as cards from the family I had digital greetings from Sara in Sweden, Valdo in Switzerland and Connie in Germany. That says a lot about the friendships I've made over the past thirty years.

There were thirty of us at the St Catherine's Eucharist. Mother Frances announced the re-starting of the Thursday morning service at St John's. Suitably it will be a requiem Mass for Prince Philip. After a lunch of salmon and roast veg with a bottle of Chianti Reserva, a siesta before walking up to Llandaff Weir and back. My fitbit phone app tells me that I have slept ten and a half hours since yesterday, compensating for the additional exercise I guess. That's how I really know how old I am!

At supper Clare presented me with a special vegan birthday cake made mostly of chocolate, fruit and nuts. It was delicious. Such a pity we couldn't share it with the family, but never mind, next Saturday we'll all meet up in Cheltenham for a picnic lunch.  Just like last year, wt eight we had a family Zoom conversation for nearly an hour, but so much happier to sit at home with Clare at my side. Then, the fourth episode of 'Line of Duty' with lots more bewildering intrigue and a dash of high melodrama. I'll have another Zoom meeting tomorrow afternoon, for a Eurodiocesan Safeguarding training session. I wonder what else will crop up this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment