Friday 9 April 2021

Royal family bereavement

I overslept this morning, but got my Morning Prayer video upload done at about the right time in any case. After breakfast and Morning Prayer, I relaxed until it was time to leave for today's funeral, of a 97 year old St Catherine's member who used to sit in front of us in church, before she became housebound. Strange to think that she was not known personally to any of the present Parish clergy team, as all have arrived since she stopped coming. I was glad that Mother Frances asked if I would take the service, since she was in any case, on leave. 

I wasn't so pleased with the funeral directors. I contacted them to inform them via the web-mail device on their website, but heard no reply. The official order of service at Mother Frances' name on it, and the fee cheque was made out to her. The notification document she passed on to me was unusual in that it had no phone or email address printed on it. I wonder whose clever idea that was, given that the web-mail device didn't serve its purpose.

At midday the death of Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh was announced. Immediately all the BBC's regular programming radio and TV was suspended and switched over to continuous news - expressions of condolence to the Royal Family from world leaders, biography, interviews with journalists, historians and church leaders etc. It's been good to hear how well regarded he was in public life, and how advanced he was in his concern for the formation of young people, conservation and climate change issues. 

A lot was made of his role as the Queen's Consort, always standing behind her on official duties and of their long and happy marriage. It struck me that Philip always 'had her back', as we say today. Marrying her meant that as soon as she became Queen, he could no longer continue his promising naval career, but this he did willingly and uniquely in his own way. It also struck me that his naval training ideally equipped him to be there for her, as Queen. Teamwork is essential on any ship. The captain gives the orders, others make sure these are carried out. Doing the job properly and loyally is every bit as important as being in command. Prince Philip has been a good and faithful servant of the Crown in every sense. May he rest in peace. 

At the funeral I took, I read the eulogy, which was longer than usual, and we ran a little late because the funeral before ours also ran late. The exit music requested was Vaughan Williams' 'Lark Ascending'. I was not aware of what was about to happen. As I was saying the prayer of Commendation, the music began. At first I thought it was a mistake, but it didn't stop, and I couldn't interrupt it, so I just kept praying, hoping not to be drowned out by the music - in fact the chapel attendant turned the volume down a bit to balance my voice. I changed pace to work with the music and not against it, and the surprise combination worked out well. Mourners leaving the chapel were visibly moved by this. Whether planned or accidental, I'm not quite sure, but all in all the service did justice to a remarkably feisty 97 year old, whom I had known.

Back home for a late lunch, then a walk with Clare over to Bute Park and back before supper. We watched this week's 'New Amsterdam' episode together, but that was it for the night. We'd both had enough news of the Prince Consort's demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment