Thursday 8 April 2021

Video Quandry

Although I spent more than eight hours in bed, my sleep was somewhat broken. After uploading Morning prayer with no hassle, I had breakfast, said my prayers and fell asleep again. I must have needed it.

At lunchtime, I drove to Thornhill for today's funeral. Unfortunately with a long eulogy and a couple of tributes, which I had no control over, the service ran on a bit longer than the allotted time. The chapel attendant wasn't unduly worried about this, as the service schedule of the day wasn't completely full, and so there was a gap after the one I was taking. The decline in the numbers of covid related funerals has made a welcome difference. Before the service, I was chatting to the funeral conductor, who told me that in one week at the peak of the crisis eighty percent of the funerals done were covid related.

After a late lunch, I recorded and edited the last two Morning Prayer videos. I'm just about accustomed to the process again. I don't do this often enough for it to be habitual. I may be hampered by using equipment which isn't fully geared up for slick video editing. It makes me wonder if I should upgrade, although for all other purposes, my various computers are adequate to the job. These days 8GB RAM and a Core 15 processor seem to necessary to avoid glitches. Several times I there were moments when the editing suite didn't seem to react to the command given, or didn't display that it was doing what was asked of it. This can be a sign of memory buffers not clearing fast enough I think. Hence the requirement for extra RAM to make the process smoother. The trouble is, if there seems to be no response to a command given, I'll click or press a key again impatiently until I get a response, and that tends to screw things up. 

I look after my computers and although they are relatively old, the don't tend to die on me and need replacing. I could buy a new device and have no reason to use again it for video editing. Setting up a new machine to work with the optimum efficiency and minimum annoyance can take many days of machine minding, something I have less patience for these days. Also I don't need to spend time re-learning a new system, when I have all the digital tools I am ever likely to need already at my disposal. Best use of time is what matters most to me these days.

Just as I was about to go out for walk before supper, Marc called by with a copy of the final edit of the video he and Fran produced about the 'Noli me tangere' icon, and a bottle of wine as a thank you present for helping them get started with the project. It was meant to appear in the weekly Parish 'Holy Ground' slot on Facebook at seven, but there was a glitch, evoking a few puzzled responses. I uploaded to You Tube the copy Marc gave me then posted a link to WhatsApp, just in case but the official version appeared on Facebook an hour or so later.

I walked for an hour before supper. Later in the evening, I did the rest of my day's exercise in the dark. Fortunately it wasn't quite so cold as earlier. The weather is changing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment