Sunday 1 August 2021

Back to St German's

A slightly later Sunday start today, with a drive over to St German's to sing the Solemn Mass, and then to baptize little Harry, Andy and Michelle's second child. They tried to arrange a christening not long after he was born, but then came lock-down, and now Harry is a lively two year old, held in his mother's arms so that I could pour water over his head and anoint him. It was a special delight. Since covid, they have both changed jobs. He's now a train conductor, and she's in training as a driver on the Swansea to Paddington route. The advantage of both working for the same rail company is that it's easier for them to co-ordinate their shifts, so they can share the care of their children. I was thrilled to meet them again and minister to them and their extended family.

Tuesday this week is St German's Day, but no arrangement was made to celebrate this in advance today, so tomorrow evening's six o'clock Mass will anticipate the feast instead.

It was two o'clock by the time I got back for lunch. Clare hadn't realised that I had a christening as well as a Mass, and started eating, but at least we shared a pudding of banana in chocolate sauce before she had a siesta and I went for a walk in the park before some preparatory work on Carole's funeral order of service.

By the time we had supper it was time for the evening's BBC Prom - the three last Mozart symphonies. I listened to the first, then remembered that I had to write to my GP for a prescription renewal and request a check-up, as I haven't seen any medic since my op. So, I wrote a letter reporting on how I'd been over the past three months, and walked around to the surgery with the letter. Hopefully this will start the process with a telephone consultation tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment