Sunday 29 August 2021

Sunday on the move

I didn't expect to sleep so well after my journey home, as there were things I still needed to do before going to St German's to celebrate. I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about books I promised to give to Ross the St German's ordinand, and ended up hunting for them on my study shelves, half awake, before I could settle again. After breakfast I printed copies for distribution of the draft proposal I've been working on for a short study series on church and society, drawing from features in the life of St German. Then I was ready to leave in good time.

There were twenty three of us at Mass less than usual due to the Bank Holiday weekend, but there were forty odd for the christening afterwards. Ross wasn't there, takign advantage of the Bank Holiday, no doubt. By twenty past one I was on the road again, heading for Kenilworth, eating the bacon sandwiches I made for lunch as I drove. Traffic was light, no queues. I reached there in two and a half hours, and went and joined Kath's birthday lunch party at the restaurant where they were still lingering over coffee. 

The evening was taken up with youngsters and adults taking turns in the hot tub on the patio which had been hired for the weekend of partying, and other convivial pleasures. We walked back to our hotel at ten. I was soon ready to turn in, pleased to have had such a busy day without ill effect. It's so good to feel well and have enough confidence to make unusual extra effort, a real sign of slow steady healing that's gone on in the three months since the last operation. I'm feeling very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment