Thursday 5 August 2021

Sacred waters

An overcast start to the day with sunshine breaks and inconvenient showers. I was interested to hear on this morning's 'Thought for the Day' that the Cardiff Sikh community has engaged with Llandaff Rowing Club to establish a waterside pontoon, not only for the use of rowers, but also for the use of bereaved Sikh families wanting to ceremonially dispose of cremated remains in the river Taff, adapting the traditional custom of Punjabi Sikhs using one of the five sacred rivers of their native land. 

Llandaff weir is just above the point in the watercourse once reached by salt water at high tide, a sacred site in pagan culture, and a place where Christian monks would naturally choose to establish a mission. I wonder if the Sikhs were aware of the ancient significance of the place? The London born speaker said he wanted his ashes to be cast on Thames water one day - just like my sister June! The environmental impact is negligible. Let's hope it'll be received with good-will by all others for whom rivers are special.

I uploaded today's Morning Prayer link before breakfast then went to St John's to celebrate the Eucharist with eight others before some preparatory work on next Thursday's Morning Prayer, commemorating Ann Griffiths. Clare cooked lunch, then we both had a siesta - me sitting in an armchair, out like a light for an hour. It's strange that I should be sleeping naturally for two hours more than previously. When I'm awake and active I don't feel physically tired, I'm sharp and concentration is good. I feel like I'm losing a couple of hours each day at the moment, but all I can do is go with the flow, and enjoy the occasional interesting dreams I recall but can make no sense of.

At lunchtime we received a WhatsApp message and photo from Kath and Anto in Santa Pola, after their arrival for a three week holiday without travel difficulties. Who knows what re-entry regulations will be in place for doubly vaccinated travellers from Alicante by the time they return.

I got wet when walking in the park before supper, and wet again returning from church this evening. We went to choir practice tonight at St Catherine's and prepared music for Sunday, and for Carole's funeral next Wednesday. Some of the music rehearsed is fairly familiar, which helps in regaining my confidence at sight reading. A music problem I do have is being unable to read lyrics which tend to be printed in a font too small for my worsening eyesight. I think I need a headlamp as well as specs on times. 

Once more we watched a S4C programme about awards at this week's on-line National Eisteddfod. For the second time this week, author Lleucu Roberts has won a major literary prize for a prose essay. Earlier she won the prize for a novel she'd written. It's the second time in her career that she's won 'the double', as it's called. Quite a feat.

Two estate agents' signs have now gone up on the empty house next door to us. There have been a couple of visits already, and probably many more to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment