Wednesday 5 January 2022

Pastoral TV

I was surprised how little traffic there was when I drove across town to celebrate Mass at St German's with five others this morning. I left a little later than usual and arrived on time. When I got back a message was waiting for me from the social worker, acknowledging my calls. She's been on leave due to a bereavement in her family. I now about the music planned to be used for Friday's funeral, but still lack information for a tribute. She proposes to contact a nursing assistant in the care home who looked after the deceased in the last stage of his life. 

The kitchen wall painter arrived several hours late, as I was on my way out to the shops. The undercoat was done by the time I returned. The painter didn't hang around until it dried to do the top coat. He returns some time next Monday to finish the job.

It was sunny and cold again, walking in the park this afternoon. Apart from organic waste, this week's waste collection hasn't happened today, so maybe tomorrow instead if covid hasn't decimated the regular work force. Being Twelfth Night, there are redundant Christmas trees littering the pavements as well as recycling bags. When will they be collected I wonder? 

I caught my first glimpse of a redstart in the usual place near the stables where I've seen them in recent winters. I made what I thought would be a perfect shot, but my camera wouldn't focus fast enough, and both pictures were blurred and useless. That's unusual with my HX90. Either light levels were low enough to confuse the camera sensor, or the camera's physical mechanism was too cold to function normally. Thereafter I kept the camera in my trouser pocket to warm it up, and had no trouble taking a couple of photos of another lovely winter sunset half an hour later.

We watched another edition of 'The Repair Shop' after supper. It's a remarkable series that showcases the very varied craft skills and creativity of a team of artisans devoted to repairing and renovating broken old things valued by people for whom they hold treasured memories. Often stories of bereavement are told or of childhood memories, all emotionally touching in various ways. There's a remarkable pastoral sensitivity among the team members. How super to have a reality TV programme filled with utterly decent people doing their best to bring joy and consolation to others. 

Then there was an edition of 'The Great British Dig' uncovering evidence of an ancient settlement beneath a suburban housing estate in Staffordshire. A section of a primary school playground was excavated next to where the team had their field headquarters, and to their surprise discovered evidence of an Iron Age roundhouse, not far from where children took history lessons. An amazing bonus, generating excitement for staff and pupils alike. I wonder how many children at that school now want to be archaeologists when they grow up?

I had confirmation of yet another funeral in two weeks time. That'll be the fourth so far this month, and all of them elderly men. Ministry Area leader Fr Stewart Lisk has confirmed that the school Mass at St German's will now switch from Wednesdays to Tuesdays when they re-start in two weeks. This avoids diary clashes for him and his clergy team colleagues, and me as an occasional stand-in. It frees me to attend or take the St Catherine's Wednesday service, and that's good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment