Thursday 13 January 2022

Spec's re-framed

I woke up very early this morning, posted the link to my Morning Prayer video and took ages to drop off to sleep again for another hour. As I needed to go to the School of Optometry to get my specs, broken on Christmas Eve, finally repaired, for an eleven thirty appointment, I drove to St John's for the midweek Eucharist. A blanket of fog covered the city, visibility down to 150 metres, the world of colour reduced to black, white and shades of grey. Driving wasn't so bad, fewer cars on the road anyway at the moment, but with people being sensible about limiting their speed and not jumping lights. Fog like this is unusual for Cardiff, and that makes everyone extra cautious.

With Mother Frances, there were ten of us at Mass, back to normal numbers. I had time for some shopping in Cathay's Lidl, making use of their car park, as the store is almost next door to the Optometry building. I assumed correctly that a replacement frame would be necessary. Although the computer said they were out of stock of that design, there was one remaining on display. So, in ten minutes and for only fifteen pounds, I was happily reunited with my everyday lenses.

I cooked a lentil and mushroom dish for lunch, then prepared my order of service for tomorrow's funeral at St Luke's before going out to make the most of the afternoon sunshine. As I left the Fields after sunset, thick mist rolled in again over the grass for the third evening in a row. It's going to be a cold night, I think.

I spent the evening writing next Thursday's reflection, then recording it and the Office, to get a head start on what will be another busy week to come. After tomorrow morning's funeral, we're going to the Oxwich Bay Hotel for the weekend, and Kath is coming down to join us. We got lucky with a cut price winter deal in our favourite coastal location. What a treat!


No comments:

Post a Comment