Monday 18 July 2022

Acclimatizing

Awake at first light again today, but I didn't get up early, with no pressure to be out of the house and on the move. I'm finding my equilibrium, learning by trial and error what activity level is sustainable in the heat. Strange to think that at 29-31C here, it's a hot as Cardiff, but not quite so hard to cope with, thanks to a sea breeze. Reporting on dangerously hot weather in Britain is pushing the Tory leadership race into second place in the news. After breakfast, I spent the morning drafting my sermon for next Sunday, then made lunch before venturing out in the car down the A7 to Mercadona with a proper shopping list. 

Unfortunately I forgot to install the reflective sun shield to cover the windscreen. The car, in direct sunlight was searingly hot, the steering wheel and gear stick almost too hot to touch. The air-con couldn't cope  well enough to reduce the internal temperature, so it was an uncomfortable ten minute ride. Stepping into an air conditioned supermarket was like stepping into a fridge! At two in the afternoon, it was quite busy, I overheard conversations in Italian, French, Dutch as well as English and Spanish. Announcements in-store are in Spanish and English, reflecting the size of the English speaking ex-pat residents, as well as holiday visitors. 

I think the couple in the house next door must have finished their holiday and departed this afternoon, as I saw the man loading the car with bags of stuff for recycling beforehand. This prompted me to do the same, except that I could carry my week's worth of bottles cans and paper down the hill to the recycling station just inside the main entrance of the urbanizacion. It had cooled just enough to be comfortable exercise. Then I chatted with Clare and my sister, to check they were OK in the heat, I waited to go out for a proper walk until after supper, just after sunset. I walked to and fro along the sender litoral, and partially along the almost empty beach enjoying the hour and the small groups of people stood chatting in the warm twilight air. 

No comments:

Post a Comment