Friday 22 July 2022

The fishing side of Estepona port

Clear skies again today with the temperature rising to 30C, but thankfully no higher. After breakfast I took the A7 to San Pedro for the CAMEO coffee morning, identifying correctly the junction, but anticipating wrongly the turn-off in a momentary memory lapse. This let to a diversion along the road to Benahavis and back to joint the ten minute traffic queue to get back on the A7 for the last half kilometre. Not that it made me very late. 

There were eight others sitting outside the Cafe Tradicional when I arrived, and I chatted with some of them until midday when the group dispersed. One of the women I spoke with told me about her work as an art teacher on board SAGA cruise ships. It seems some of her clients are, as she put it "regular serial cruisers", for whom painting classes are part of the pleasure of travel. She added that some only paint on a cruise and not at home.

Patricia wasn't with me this morning as she was attending a local funeral at which a locum Anglican priest from Malaga officiated. It seems the F.D. didn't know of my arrival, Just as well, as I'm still finding my way around. Lew was also meant to attend the funeral, but was taken into hospital first thing this morning, having collapsed with a chest infection. I thought he sounded a bit chesty in the car or Sunday, but this is a real concern. Patricia will find out if visitors are permitted and then we can arrange a visit.

On the journey back I mis-read a sign at a roundabout and took yet another early turning, but fortunately it led immediately to another roundabout, allowing me to backtrack and correct my course. As it's a regular journey, it shouldn't take me long to get used to it. The next memory challenge will be the drive down to Sotogrande for tomorrow's wedding blessing. I'll take plenty of time, just in case.

After lunch I had a siesta. It was hot enough to avoid going out. By six thirty it was starting to cool down so I walked to the beach on the east side of the port lighthouse, There's several kilometres of palm tree lined promenade here behind a flat foreshore of golden sand, called la playa de la Rada. Before it, there's the working side of the port with purpose built storage facilities for commercial fishermen whose small craft are moored in this side of the harbour. Sixty five are registered as operating from here. These facilities are called 'cuartos' literally 'rooms'. There are about thirty of them. 

Also there's an ice factory, some larger workshops and a restaurant that looks like it caters for the work force. This complex of buildings looks as if it's been upgraded in the past twenty years, The area above and behind it is currently undergoing a major redevelopment, with a high rise building at its centre. The work has led to closure of the coast road as where it runs parallel to the beach. There doesn't seem to be a marked diversion route so it's much resented by locals. I think it's going to be some kind of municipal complex of buildings when it's finished, but it's already late due to covid. A never ending story!

I didn't walk far along La Rada before turning back, as it was getting late. I returned through the length of the port and the huge parking lot beyond it, serving the popular Playa del Cristo before climbing up to the road that runs to Beverley Hills.

Fish soup for supper with remaining chunk of frozen hake cooked into it with some rice. A great way to rehydrate after a long evening walk. Then some more preparatory work on tomorrow's wedding before turning in for the night.


No comments:

Post a Comment