Sunday 31 July 2022

Nearly late!

After a good nine hours of sleep I woke up just before the alarm again, and was on my way to collect Patricia at nine. Due to my choice of short hymns, we finished by ten to eleven and I was soon on my way to Sotogrande. I'm not sure what went wrong, I made it to the Estepona junction with the A7P and then took a wrong turning so I ended up going back to San Pedro on the toll road unable to turn around, and then setting out on the trip to Sotogrande a second time. 

Last week, I did this route on my own without any trouble. Somehow today I missed a vital sign at the correct junction. Although I set off ten minutes earlier than usual, this error was bound to make me late. I called Patricia and asked her to relay a message to Sotogrande that I'd be late, and resigned myself to the inevitable, having added an extra 45km to my commute. I was astonished to find when I reached my destination that it was only five to twelve, so we started on time anyway. I must try and figure out what I did wrong today, having got it right last week.

Another cloudy humid day with bright sunny spells pushing the temperature up to 31C after lunch, I didn't need a siesta so I completed work on next Thursday's prayer video, and revised the altar copy of text for use at Sotogrande. The two congregations have Eucharist booklet which are not completely the same, and both have too small a typeface to be much help to me, hands free at the altar. Separate large print versions are needed for everything to run without confusion.

Jobs done, I listened to Choral Evensong from Hereford Cathedral on BBC Sounds, lying on the bed in the heat, and inevitably fell asleep. It was nearly sunset by the time I went out for a walk, but it was cooler and more enjoyable walking the sender littoral for an hour. Clare called me on my way back. The signal was strong enough to sustain a WhatsApp call right to the front door, and then the line dropped as the house wi-fi started to compete for attention with the 4G cell signal. That happens in Meadow Street too, though the 4G signal as much poorer as Meadow Street is in the shadow of the BT/EE cell tower in Westgate Street. Nothing's perfect!


No comments:

Post a Comment