Friday 15 July 2022

Fiery judgement

I woke up earlier this morning, needing to get going earlier, out of the house by five to ten, to collect Patricia, and Lew another church member, to drive to San Pedro for a coffee morning at at place near the church called 'CafĂ© Tradicional'. About ten turned up altogether and occupied a couple of pavement tables for a chatty hour catching up on each other's news and taking an interest in each other's welfare. It's important, as many of those gathered are older single people. It's nice to see. The group is called CAMEO - standing for 'Come and meet each other' - clever! I think I have memorised most of the half hour journey on the A7. Only the last half mile through back streets is a bit tricky to recall, but Patricia will accompany me again on Sunday, when we have a nine o'clock start! 

The temperature rose to 33C at one. Even hotter inland, and in the UK apparently, thanks to climate change. I made lunch and spent the afternoon completing, and then trying to print out my Sunday sermon. I couldn't get the wifi printer to work with the slow old office laptop, nor with the wired USB link. It again asked me for pass codes I didn't have, and I tried all sorts of four number codes from the router label, to no avail. I messaged Jean to seek expert help, but nobody's around to consult right now. I had another go with my own laptop using the USB cable, and this time I tried, the device auto installed the software drivers, and it started printing at last. Such a relief!

By six it was cooling down. I walked to the supermarket in the Marina to buy some veggies, a chorizo and a bottle of light vino joven. I only had four kilos in my backpack, but the extra weight punished my feet. Good exercise climbing uphill the last 300 metres however. I'm amazed I can do it without stopping, hardly getting breathless and recovering quickly. I get as sweaty as being in a gym, but warm weather open air exercise does me good. Clare and I chatted on the 'phone before the Archers. Her back is still giving her trouble. The aching discomfort is making her very tired.

After a salad supper, I listened to the last half hour of Verdi's Requiem, broadcast from the first night of the BBC Proms at the Albert Hall. Magnificent music and timely evocative ancient liturgical poetry, speaking of the Last Judgement of the earth and humankind - by fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment