Wednesday 20 July 2022

Bye Boris?

Slightly cooler overnight. I slept well anyway. The hottest part of the day passed, washing and drying a few clothes, working on next Thursday's Daily Office Reflection, after receiving Ruth's weekly Morning Prayer text email. Again I cooked two days worth of a main dish to have with rice. This works well, as scaling down to cooking a one-off portion is not something I'm good at. Cooking for two saves work also. 

It was tea time before I ventured out in search of a pharmacy, or at least somewhere selling antiseptic and shampoo, both of which I was running low on. There's a sign for a Farmacia near the Policia Locale on the main road, but I couldn't find the building and walked on as far as the Marina roundabout, where I saw a signs for a Carrefour supermarket, plus a Farmacia up the hill behind the main road. 

The Carrefour was tucked away, not very visible in the townscape until you got close, but it turned out to be a reasonable size, like Tesco Metro, or the main Co-op in Canton, except this one is at ground floor level in an apartment block with is own parking lot and plenty of parking outside on the side-street as well. Easy access for car drivers, which may explain why I've seen few people walking, carrying shopping bags from there. Here I was able to buy both things I needed and didn't bother to look for the Farmacia.

When I got back I listened to news about the Tory leadership election with Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss as the MPs nominee for voting on by party membership around the country. In their different ways they'll ensure the country will be governed by centre right policies, though it's unclear how this will work out for them, any more than it did for Boris Johnson. Today he performed his final parliamentary question time session as Prime Minister, boasting his achievements, immune to criticism and unapologetic for his moral failings and mistakes. He bowed out defiantly quoting Schwarzenegger's Terminator often quoted line. 'I'll be back.' But will, he if Uxbridge votes him out at the next general election? That day cannot come soon enough, in my  opinion.

After supper, and a chat with Clare, I walked down to the beach and back as the sun was setting joining all the others making their paseo in the cool of the evening. And so to bed.



No comments:

Post a Comment