Saturday 2 July 2022

Surprise disappointment

Saturday breakfast didn't go according to plan this morning, as the waffle maker has developed a fault and made a baked mess stuck to the metal surface, so Clare cooked the batter into thick pancakes instead, quite acceptable. I completed next Thursday's Morning Prayer video before we went to town to look for a new waffle iron, but we were unsuccessful in finding one. We had a drink in John Lewis and Clare had a curry for lunch before we returned home. I cooked a veggie sauce to go with spaghetti for myself, for a late lunch as I didn't fancy anything on offer in John Lewis. Then I went for a walk in the park. 

Clare went out to an early evening concert with Ruth leaving me to my own devices. I started work on a reflection for my first week in Spain, as I don't know how busy I'll be when I get there, and printed off tomorrow's sermon. Having soaked some butter beans overnight, I pressure cooked them, and made an experimental dish of hummous using a handful of them, with a spoonful of tahini, olive oil, lemon and black pepper. It tasted bland without garlic, but there was no time to add any, as Inspector Montalbano was about to start - the last episode to have been made so far, though not the last possible episode. We'll see.

Unfortunately billed by the Beeb as the last ever how would Montalbano end? Bumped off or married off? Neither, it turns out. He falls for a much younger female colleague, and calls it a day with Livia after 20 years. Mid-life crisis, or a moment of truth leading to him settling down eventually? It was another comic and quirky episode with a really puzzling whodunnit shot through with romance. Rather an anticlimax I'm sad to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment