Friday 16 September 2022

Royal flying visit

After breakfast this morning I walked over to Pontcanna Fields to await the King's arrival. I was there just after ten, and had more than an hour to wait. The tree lined avenue was cordoned off and lined with police officers. Down the path to Blackweir Bridge a line of VIP vehicles was parked and dozens of officials and security personnel were gathered, along with photographers. Getting a clear view of the King's helicopter landing spot wasn't easy, as nobody was allowed on the side of the avenue next to the field. The view from behind the banking that carries the road was restricted, so I had to use the full extent of my Olympus long lens to get any worthwhile photos, and crop them on editing.

It was eleven twenty when the King's helicopter arrived. I was surprised to see that it wasn't a military but rather a civilian one in maroon livery. As the King was at Highgrove House in Gloucestershire overnight,  the flight most probably started there, about half an hour away from Pontcanna Fields. Fairly quickly, the royal party and their minders drove away from the landing field up the avenue. Three police motorcyclists went first, with a single police motorcyclist in front of the usual regal Rolls Royce, with the royal standard pennant on top. 

On a whim, I decided to use my Sony HX90 in burst mode to capture a sequence of pictures of the passing royal car, but this was a complete failure. It takes great photos very quickly, but takes several seconds to save them to the camera's SD card. I got the motorcyclists, and the approach of the royal car, but as it went past me I was still waiting for the previous burst of photos to be saved. So disappointing!

I went home then, in time to watch the service from Llandaff Cathedral. It was lovely to see the faces of several people I know taking part. Throughout, it was thoroughly bilingual, hymns, readings, prayers, wth a special anthem written for the occasion, accompanied by the past and present Royal Harpist. The BBC delivered English subtitles - and they were readable for a change. Archbishop Andy spoke well. Five people took part in prayers of intercession, led by Bishop June, including Muslim and Jewish as well as ecumenical representatives. It was a splendid affirmation of Wales' diversity and bilingualism.

We watched the ceremonies that followed in the Senedd while eating lunch. It was nice to see Barry our former Archbishop commenting on the service in the studio afterwards. Clare was inspired to take off to the Castle to see the King arrive. She caught a bus, but was five minutes too late getting there. I followed on foot. We stood among the crowds opposite the Castle and waited for an hour and a half for the royal car to depart, through an inter-service military guard of honour outside the gate, with scores of police officers on the street, and other officials in their dark suits and black ties, standing around doing goodness knows what. After a long wait in a chill wind, it was over in a couple of minutes. 

We went to Barker's Coffee House in Castle Arcade for a warm-up drink, and a sit down. Clare then went to the crystal jewellery shop next door, and spotted a possible birthday present, which I purchased after she'd set out to walk home. I went to bank a cheque, caught a bus to Canton and walked the rest of the way home, then edited and uploaded a second batch of photos of this exceptional day. No good photos of the King, but a fair number of pictures of the setting of his arrival and departure from the edge of the action, as ever in my case. You can see them here

After supper, I started writing a Sunday sermon and got stuck half way. I needed further study on the text I'm expounding, but didn't feel like it, so I watched a couple of episodes of 'The Wagner Method' on my laptop instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment