Saturday 24 September 2022

Singing in Llanilltud Fawr

A pancake breakfast this morning, then a drive to Llantwit Major for a choir rehearsal in St Illtud's Parish Church, the fifth century cradle of Christian mission in South Wales. It must be twenty years since I last visited, and much has changed. The delapidated Galilee Chapel at the west end of the building has been splendidly renovated and developed as a modern visitor centre. It still houses its collection of ancient Celtic crosses, but in an enhanced well lit setting. My photos are here,

We practiced some pretty challenging music for three hours, then went for a pub lunch at the nearby Old Swan pub, then drove home. I had a few things to obtain for my sister and went into town after returning. After supper, I printed tomorrow's two sermons and then we watched a double episode 'KaDeWe' on BBC Four, a serialised story with German subtitles about Germany after the World War One, and the rise of the Nazis and anti-semitism. 

The episodes were, to my mind overloaded with fairly explicit sex scenes which added little to the advancement of the story. I didn't much see the point of this, except to delight voyeurs in the audience. Curiously background street scenes, slightly out of focus, were of modern Berlin, with the actors in the foreground. I wasn't sure what the point of this was, apart from huge savings in period piece vehicle and film extra costume hire. It other respects it wasn't a low budget movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment