Friday 2 September 2022

Sustainable lifestyle?

An overcast day throughout. After breakfast, I worked on next week's biblical reflection. For a change we then went for a walk and a coffee at The Summer House in Bute Park, returning for a late lunch. On the way out a young couple stopped us and asked us about the street, what it was like to live in, as they were looking at one of the houses for sale. 

They're intending to live part time here and continue living and working in London. Another of the houses in the street is occupied by someone whose family are still in London, but works here, commuting home on weekends. What you can do if you're well paid! But will this displaced kind of lifestyle last in the light of soaring coast of living and inflation? We'll see.

In this morning's post was a new Post Office Money card, replacing the one that expired two days ago. I had no idea that a replacement would be sent to me automatically. It's arrived later than planned perhaps due to postal strikes. If I'd known, I wouldn't have acquired another card. Having emptied the expired card by transferring its balance to the new card by phone, I now have a second card to use. I could  load it with a small amount of sterling and use it for occasional internet purchases on websites I haven't used before, as a security precaution. I'll have to think about it. I'm not so keen on internet shopping.

Upgrading work on the house next door continues at a pace. The roof of the rebuilt extension will be put on early next week. The attic dormer window is complete, and scaffolding at the back of the house was removed this afternoon. The lorry collecting it blocked the street to traffic for several hours.

After a siesta, I went for another walk around Thompson's Park, making sure to use a route that obliged me to climb both sets of steps - good for the quad muscles. There was nothing much worth watching on telly, so I spent much of the evening writing a sermon for this Sunday at St German's instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment