Thursday 15 September 2022

Nearly late

I posted this week's Morning Prayer link to WhatsApp, just after Thought for the Day this morning. With a funeral at nine forty five at Thornhill, I had to be ready to be collected by nine fifteen. Normally funeral chauffeurs arrive ten minutes early. Today's was seven minutes late, causing me to panic, as you can never be sure of traffic conditions, driving to the crem. Plenty of slack is necessary. 

On this occasion the usual route along Western Avenue and up the Caerphilly Road from Gabalfa wasn't taken. We went via Llandaff North, Whitchurch then Rhiwbina's back streets to avoid traffic queues, and against the odds arrived just on time as the hearse was approaching the Briwnant chapel. I had to bale out and run to the chapel attendant's room for a briefing and put on my vestments. There was no time to greet the next of kin before we started, and somewhat surprisingly the funeral conductor made no effort to introduce me to them, as is customary in case we hadn't met. 

This was an occasion when I had to arrange the service by email and telephone only due to the amount of time between receiving the request and the service, disrupted also by the Queen's death. It was a case of trusting myself to the situation on the understanding that I'd prepared as well as I could. I was relieved that many people expressed appreciation of the service afterwards, but I didn't appreciate having to deliver it under that kind of pressure.

After lunch I welcomed to the house a couple of friends and and couple of family members of the man in Llanfair Road whose funeral I've been asked to take - on Clare's birthday, as it happens. By the time we'd finished we had an order of service and a basic plan for other arrangements as well. Then I went out for my walk in the park. 

Pontcanna Fields now has a tall mobile platform positioned next to the mobile TV control room, to film the King's helicopter landing. The perimeter of the field to be used is marked out with a boundary of blue string, but no security barriers. It's odd. Maybe they're not expecting people to turn up and watch. Or maybe a wider security cordon will be imposed with armed personnel to keep the public away. There has been no specific mention of the landing site, perhaps for security reasons, although it's obvious. It could be that the transfer from helicopter to limousine for the ride out of the park to Llandaff is planned to take place at such speed that no other measures are required. I'll find out when I go there tomorrow morning. Access to Llandaff Village will certainly be controlled, to ensure residents get the benefit.

There was nothing of interest to watch on live telly tonight, so I turned to More Four Walter Presents and found a new French crimmie series to watch, based in Strasbourg, featuring a hypocondriac detective inspector. The investigations are serious and keep your attention but the interactions between characters are often humorous. The regional accent takes a little getting used to, but it's entertaining viewing..

No comments:

Post a Comment