Wednesday 21 September 2022

Op delayed

If left early for St Catherine's this morning as I had to open up the church and prepare to celebrate the Eucharist without the support of Clive whose away this week in St David's. There were only three of us today. Two thirds of the regulars were also away as well. I was glad there were a couple of people there, as the feast of St Matthew the Evangelist is special to me, as I was ordained Deacon and Priest in the two days beforehand in different years. No coffee and chat this morning, so I came home, has a coffee and then went collect this week's veggie bag.

After lunch I worked for a couple of hours on next week's Morning Prayer and Reflection for Michaelmas Day, then went to the Co-op for this week's grocery shopping. Then I had a phone call from St Joseph's hospital to say that tomorrow's cataract op is postponed as surgeon Andrew is off sick. Clare heard at the meditation group last night that he was absent because he was unwell, so I wasn't surprised at the news, only disappointed that I have to wait another month. 

The new date I've been given is 20th October, right in the middle of our Gower holiday with Ann. I have to drive back the evening before as the appointment is at 7.00 on Thursday morning. I'm not sure I'll be recovered enough to return and drive them home on Saturday, so unfortunately they'll have to return to Cardiff by train. I called Martin. He and Chris will give me a bed on Wednesday and Thursday nights and ferry me to and from the hospital. It's fortunate they only live a few miles from St Joseph's.

Clare went to a Pilates class at six and returned in time for supper and 'The Archers'. Afterwards I watched a Physics programme about the part played by temperature in making the universe, called 'Ice and Fire'. A lot of information, perhaps a bit too much was packed into an hour on the physics of low temperature. It was presented Dr Helen Czerski. Her enthusiastic style reminded me of Brian Cox. Then there was a programme about the history of the Second World War and how interpretation of its events has changed over decades in the light new historical research. Also interesting to watch. Altogether an educational rather than entertaining evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment