Sunday 3 September 2023

Disconcerting deviation

It was lovely woke up to sunshine and warmth again this morning, and a relatively early breakfast for a Sunday. This gave me half an hour to spare before I set out for St German's to celebrate the Eucharist, so I recorded the reflection for Holy Cross Day, and edited it. When I approached the junction with Cowbridge Road at the bottom end of Romilly Road I ran into a static queue of traffic. Some cars were turning around to go and look for other routes to their destination. The presence of the occasional worker in a hi-viz jacket made me think there had been an accident, though I learned later that there were rolling road closures due to a 10km running event. 

I began to worry about not making to St German's in time for the service, so I made a detour that took me up Cowbridge Road to Canton Cross, and then on the road to Leckwith, past the football stadium down Sloper Road, then across Grangetown and the south side of the city centre into Adamsdown to get to church. A twenty five minute journey instead of fifteen on a normal Sunday arriving with ten minutes to spare. As this was unexpected and required quick thinking and route planning on the go, I found it a rather stressful preliminary to Sunday worship. In case this happens again, I need to think about alternative route to St Edward's, as it's that much further away again.

I was pretty tired when I got back for lunch, and went straight to bed afterwards and slept for an hour. Then, another visit to Thompson's Park to take photos of the juvenile moorhens. The mother hen stays steadfastly at the other end of the pond, at the limit of camera range, unfortunately. 

Then I walked over to Llandaff Fields to complete my exercise quota for the day, and bumped into Pete riding a bicycle. He said it was the first time he'd been on a bike in forty years, persuaded by a mate who has a spare one to try it out, as an alternative to jogging, which he does regularly, even though we're about the same age! It's not something I'd consider trying again, given the scar tissue on my rear end, even with the broadest and best cushioned bike seat available.

After supper we watched a new edition of Antiques Roadshow together. I then watched 'The Woman in the Wall', and before turning in for the night, recorded and edited Morning Prayer for Holy Cross Day to go with what I did before going to church today. It's funny, sometimes it's hard to focus on getting routine tasks done, and other times the creative energy comes in fits and starts. It's a matter of going with the ebb and flow of life, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment