Saturday 23 September 2023

Matinée Première

A mild and sunny day, with waffles for breakfast. Afterwards I printed off tomorrow's sermon, then started on next week's edition of Sway, Sunday readings to go with it and a couple of new parish publicity pieces, as I was feeling fresh and had enough concentration to work accurately. Some days I'm too distracted for it to be worthwhile making the effort. Other days, no problem. Bad days might be due to lack of good sleep. It seems to vary in a way I can't make sense of. 

After lunch we drove to the Bay for the matinée première of the WNO's 'La Traviata' at the Millennium Center featuring Australian-Mauritian Stacey Alleaume as Violetta and Korean David Junghoon Kim as Rudolfo two well matched singers in leading tragic roles, delivering an emotionally powerful performance with ease. It was an impressive first outing for a WNO standard opera. I think the stage production is much the same as it was when I've seen it before twice at least, but with some effective changes in the presentation of later scenes.

It was pleasant to leave the theatre in daylight and good mild weather, a couple of hours before sunset. After the drive home, I walked around the block for twenty minutes to stretch my legs. Then we went to Stefano's for supper - a festive meal for Clare and Ann whose birthdays are within a week of each other. After a glass of wine and opera chat, an early night.


No comments:

Post a Comment