Sunday 10 September 2023

Rubbish Overflow

Humid with occasional freshening showers this morning, and a nice slow start. Thankfully, no traffic congestion on my 25 minute drive to St Edward's to celebrate the Eucharist with thirty others. I was able to leave straight after the service, as the post-service coffee and chat hasn't re-started, so was back at home for lunch by a quarter to one. After we'd eaten a splendid lunch, Kath and Anto departed for Kenilworth via Warwick Castle to collect Rhiannon from her day's acting work there. 

I found a review in my news feed of 'Ainadamar' in today's Guardian on-line. One observation of interest was that the pace and tone of Lorca's death in the mid section of the opera resembled a passion play. That rang true to me, as I'd noticed one line of dialogue which had intentional overtones of the Last Supper. After writing for an hour, I went out for a walk.

Clare met me in the park half an hour later, and as we walked down to Blackweir Bridge we were struck by the amount of bottles and cans strewn along the verges within a hundred yards of a bin full to overflowing midway along the path, over twenty pieces picked up within that distance. The bins located next to the bridge were also full to overflowing, a result of weekend picnics and no rubbish collections between Friday afternoon and Monday morning. 

After supper I wrote a constructive letter about it to Councillor Caro Wild and copied it to the editor of Wales Online, to see if this prompts some interest and action. Then I watched this week's episode of 'The Woman in the Wall', and read for a while before turning in for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment