Friday 22 September 2023

Moorhen family reunion

I didn't sleep all that well, but it was good to wake up to sunshine, and get up late for breakfast. Ann had my bed last night, so I shared the double bed with Clare, which we've grown unused to since both of us became noisy restless sleepers some years ago, before my five rounds of surgery. 

After breakfast Clare and Ann went into town. I'd started writing my Sunday sermon and promised to join them when I finished, but it took me until lunchtime, so I had a snack on my own before going out to get some wine.

Then I went to Thompson's Park and for the first time I spotted four moorhens on the grass, two juvenile and two adult. I've seen the two juveniles together before, and one of the adults, but this is the first time I have seen what I presume is the parents and siblings together in the same place. None of the photos I took do justice to this family moment. 

I'm keen to tell Jasmine who was with us back in mid June when we first saw together and photographed the nest the adult couple were maintaining in the ornamental pond. It's a pity I must send her several photos rather than a representative one that captures the occasion.

Clare cooked a splendid chickpea curry for supper. Afterwards, Ann and I stayed at the table talking ethics and history over glasses of wine for several hours while Clare went and read a book. All too soon it was bedtime again.


No comments:

Post a Comment