Friday 15 September 2023

Friday guilt trip

A cool overcast start to the day, but as the morning warmed up sunshine slowly dispersed the cloud, a bit more autumnal in feel, but pleasant. After breakfast I did some more work on my Sunday sermon, then helped Clare with preparing vegetables to add into the salmon soup she'd started. She came with a whole salmon from the market, already filleted for cutting into portions to freeze. The head and bones provide the substance for soup making. And very good it was too. 

After lunch, I walked over to Aldi to buy some wine, walnuts, chorizo and smoked mackerel. In front of me in the checkout queue I was surprised to meet Paul Gregory, a long standing member of St Michael's in Cathays. We first met in the year I returned to Cardiff, as he was one of the Parish churchwardens in the Rectorial Benefice of Cardiff I was appointed to. Great to see him again, looking well, and as old as me.

I returned home to deposit my shopping then went out again for a circuit of Thompson's Park, to complete my exercise quota for the day. After supper, I found an watchable Icelandic crime drama series on Channel Four Walter Presents called 'Sisterhood', about three teenage girls in a random encounter with a fourth girl they don't know, who is in the course of running away from her dysfunctional mother. The runaway dies, and the girls conspire to dump her body, cover up what happens and live with the guilt. Twenty five years on, the runaway's remains are found, a cold case disappearance becomes as suspicious death and the trio have to deal with what emerges. A morality play on the theme: 'Be sure your sins will find you out', played out in suburban domestic detail. Only two and a half of six episodes so far, in a Scandi drama that's more a guilt trip than a crimmie.

And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment