Thursday 28 September 2023

Missed tree

Before going to bed last night, I laid the table for breakfast with flowers, a candle and a card in honour of Clare's birthday. I woke up at seven thirty and posted the link to Morning Prayer on WhatsApp just before Thought for the Day, then booked porridge for breakfast, just before Clare appeared.

First task of the day, to add a detail to this week's Sway and finalise for sending. Next I booked an eleven o'clock slot visit in the Council's queue management schedule, and a drove to Bessemer Road with an assortment of stuff for disposal. I arrived early, but it wasn't busy, so I was admitted, and on my way home before my appointment  was due. Next, a trip to the GP surgery to collect my medication prescription and get it made up at the pharmacy across the road. I also booked a phone appointment for next week to have a discussion with the doctor about dealing with my nuisance wart beneath my jaw.

Clare was preparing an early lunch before travelling. She let me cook her omelette, which was laden with fresh parsley, which arrived in this week's veggie bag. Then at one she set out for Cardiff Central on foot, as she felt the need of exercise before the train trip. I made lunch with what was left over from yesterday's meal, then distributed this week's Sway using Mailchimp. I sat in the lounge to check my news feed, and unexpectedly fell asleep for over an hour. It was half past four by the time I went for a walk in the park. The first traces of autumnal colour are appearing in the trees now, due to the recent rain and wind bringing colder blasts of air.

News of the vandalistic felling of the Sycamore Gap tree on Hadrian's Wall drove me to trawl through my photo archive of local parks to find a picture of a tree which stood in the middle of the Pontcanna allotments southern boundary fence. I had a picture of it 2019, probably the last time it was in leaf. Then it died of disease and over several years of weathering, lost its bark and thinner branches as it dried out.  Its gaunt silvery skeleton in a row of more modest live trees was very striking. Then, one day last year, it was felled and the impact on the skyline was shocking. It took some getting used to. I can't understand why I didn't take a photo of it as it was so dramatic. Before and after photos would have been visually interesting, but won't now be possible. What a shame!

I spent the entire evening watching more episodes of Manayek. Clare called from her hotel room to say goodnight after the Abba show. A good time was had by all, I reckon. And so to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment