Friday 22 December 2023

Struggling for words

Another variable day of clouds sunshine drizzle and gusty winds, but not that cold. After breakfast a welcome email from Pete with some entry points for gathering data about the constituent parts of our ministry area. I'll have time to study thus in the post Christmas calm period.

After breakfast a trip to the surgery to get my medication prescription renewed. I was told it would be ready this afternoon, as the surgery is closed until next Wednesday, but then I was so busy trying to finish my remaining tasks that I forgot to go and collect it. At least I know that I have enough medication left to see me through until the end of next week. I went to the butchers to confirm my turkey order that I'll collect tomorrow, then did some last minute food shopping, before returning to do some audio editing and then cook lunch. 

I had trouble finishing my three sermons for this weekend. I realised the impact of the war on Gaza was affecting me, as did the siege of Sarajevo in the nineties, a time when I found it painfully hard to preach meaningfully, and felt like I was clinging for dear life to the remnants of broken ideals and aspirations for Europe's future after the fall of the Berlin Wall. I've never been able to separate my understanding of current events from my inner life of faith. Brexit was bad enough, but here I am again, thirty years later, struggling again, outraged at the violent defilement of the Holy Land by godless forces, figuring out what I can honestly say that has meaning, close to tears.

Having finished one sermon, I went out for a walk, and then continued writing and finished a second until it was time to go to a party held by Hilary and Clive. It was lovely to meet their friends and neighbours, and chat with some of them while sipping an assortment of interesting wines. Then back home to try and finish the third sermon before bed. All clear for errand running tomorrow and getting ready to welcome the family on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment