Sunday 31 December 2023

Year end busyness

Cloudy, windy, with cloudbursts again today. It's daunting, but I slept until after eight. I was just about to have breakfast when a phone diary notification reminded me that I'm due to take the nine o'clock Eucharist at St John's. I put that there a couple of months ago when the rota was being worked out as Fr Dyfrig had not yet been able to find someone to cover this, just in case. 

I wasn't sure whether he'd found someone or not, as I hadn't received confirmation that he needed to take me at my word. I checked with Andrew who was already in church trying to fix a glitch in the central heating and he said I was expected, so I dressed quickly and drove to St John's, as it was pouring with rain. There were seventeen of us for the Eucharist. We had a drink together afterwards, and there was toast for anyone who fancied a bit to eat afterwards.

Then I drove to St German's in good time for the eleven o'clock Sung Mass, where there were three dozen of us, and where the central heating also was not working! There were no refreshments afterwards, so I was home for lunch before one, which is unusual for me these days. There wasn't time for a snooze as I was to be picked up at half past three for a Carol service at St Peter's. There were a dozen of us for this and everyone sang heartily. It was less intense, more relaxed than the usual pre-Christmas carol services. We shared mince pies and wine and laughter together in the church hall afterwards. 

I wasn't nearly as drained as I expected to be after a three service Sunday. It's a long time since I've done that. After supper I spent the evening working on the document I've been writing for the Ministry Area Council to support them in calling into question financial demands by the diocese. A day of nasty weather stopped me from going out straight after lunch, so I went out just after ten instead and walked up and down Llandaff Fields, buffeted by gusts of wind, but thankfully no rail. The clouds were clearing and I saw Orion clearly, and clouds no longer obscuring the waning moon. I saw two people out there in three quarters of an hour, although car horns announced revelry in progress some distance away.

It's been a difficult year in many ways with a government unfit for purpose, striving perpetuate the illusion that its dogma has done the country significant long term good. A recent poll showed that the vast majority of Brits have come to the conclusion that brexit has not done the good it promised the country. No poll yet with people admitting they were lied to and accepted that a con-trick was pulled on them. Brits are a creative people with great strengths and great ability to live and work together with their differences, but perhaps still over-tolerant of the huge disparity between rich and powerful, and the deprived poor. It's time for the radical change that will do justice to all citizens, and give true value to the many qualities King Charles affirms in his addresses to the nation.

Support for Ukraine nationally at many levels this past couple of years has shown due regard for the very seriousness of the threat Putin's regime poses to the whole of Europe and the world. It's no nearly so clear when in comes to the situation in Palestine. Getting rid of Hamas governance is a reasonable aim, but the means are so destructive, the death of twenty thousand civilians can not be justified as collateral damage, or failure to follow instructions from invading aggressors. Netanyahu's people and Putin's rely on the same deceptive rhetoric to murder the innocent. 

Festive fireworks have started. The countdown to more uncertainty injustice and misery is upon us. Will 2024 turn out to be any different? God help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment