Thursday 7 December 2023

Tech' temptation

More heavy rain overnight, overcast this morning and only intermittent showers during the day. I woke up and posted today's Morning Prayer YouTube link to WhatsApp just before the phone notified me it was time. I listened to Chief Rabbi Ephrem Murvis talking about the festival of Hanukkah on 'Thought for the Day'. Then I fell asleep again and woke up an hour later. Strange how this tends to happen on Thursdays especially.

After breakfast I went to Tesco's for this week's food bank contribution, mostly cleaning products, as these are needed as well as food. I had a very heavy bagful to carry to church. When I arrived I found Fr. Colin hadn't arrived to celebrate. Unusual for him, but he may have got stuck in traffic. It was another heavy traffic day, others reported. I stepped in and celebrated, then after coffee, returned home and cooked lunch. Clare returned from the School of Optometry optician's with new variable lenses in her spec's after the last set got damaged or were poorly configured. I can't remember which. After lunch I made an early start on drafting the first of two different sermons I'll be preaching at St Catherine's at Christmas. Then I went for a walk

On impulse, I went down Wyndham Crescent to see if Tourotech had a new stock of good used computers in for Christmas, and I guessed right. Much as I love my Honor laptop, its battery life is diminished and needs to be plugged in fairly frequently. I've had it two and a half years and it was already a year and a half old then if not older. I'm tempted by a high powered Dell with a bigger screen, faster processor and double the memory of the my present laptop, so good for video editing. Googling showed me it was possible to order a replacement battery for seventy quid. I might be worth the outlay, unless the Dell is nicer to work on. The only thing I don't like about the Honor is the webcam which is embedded in the row of function keys, requiring it to be placed at an awkward angle if you want callers to look you in the eye when zooming. Not that I zoom more than I desperately need to! 

I walked back home through Sophia Gardens and along the Taff. The river was pretty full, and it struck me how quiet it sounded in the dark. When the water level is much lower, as is usually the case, the river emits much more noise flowing over rocks protruding from the water. It's quiet until two hundred and fifty yards below the weir, when the noise of falling water becomes audible.

When I got back, there was a request to put another carol service poster on Sway. It didn't take long as it had a coloured border making it stand out against the while background of Sway's display environment. 

After supper, I worked on a sermon for Sunday at St Peter's, when the announcement of the name of the second clergy team member now appointed, whose main focus of work will be in Fairwater Parish. Good to be the bearer of good news. Then I watched the finale of the new series of 'Shetland' on BBC iPlayer. It was on live last night but I missed it, again. 



No comments:

Post a Comment