Tuesday 1 January 2019

A positive New Year start

I woke up from a comfortable night's sleep, apart from needing to change pyjamas soaked with sweat again at about four. If got used to sleeping in short bouts, and rarely dream or lie awake, unless there's something on my mind. But then I use the wakeful time to pray, with as few words as possible. Nights only seem long if there's worry pain or discomfort, and despite my condition, that's not often, thankfully. 

After a lateish breakfast, Clare and I walked to St. Luke's for the Mass of the day. It's the Feast of the Naming and Circumcision of Christ, but also, traditionally Covenant Day for Methodist folk. When people gather to renew the faith commitment called for by discipleship to Christ. As part of an Ecumenical Parish setup in St Paul's Bristol which involved a Methodist Church, I participated in annual Covenant services and love the prayer at the heart of the occasion.

I am no longer my own but yours.
Put me to what you will,
rank me with whom you will;
put me to doing, put me to suffering,
let me be employed for you or laid aside for you,
exalted for you or brought low for you.
Let me be full, let me be empty,
let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and wholeheartedly yield all things
to your pleasure and disposal.
And now, glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son and Holy Spirit,
you are mine and I am yours.
So be it. And may the covenant made on earth 
be ratified in heaven. 
Amen.

Given the uncertainties of Brexit and equally unpredictable weather, and my own health, wondering what will 2019 bring, the notion of re-iterating the Covenant Prayer quietly at Mass appealed to me. I felt I really wanted to make the effort to attend, and was glad that it took less effort than anticipated, as I felt better, and less troubled by my affliction.

There were eight of us present plus Emma, now in charge of the Parish as Mark is off duty, packing for his house move. We chatted afterwards for a while, then I strolled slowly along an almost traffic free main road to the treatment room at St David's medical centre. Here I met another of the District Nurse team, who inspected my wounds and changed the dressing. The new plasters continue to help reduce the swelling and dry out the lesions noticeably, which explains why I am feeling generally better than I have for quite a while. 

For me this is a positive start to the New Year. I couldn't hope for more while I await the operation.

No comments:

Post a Comment