Friday 11 January 2019

Movie night with friends

A routine visit to check in with my GP this morning, and tell the tale of the past few days. He had a couple of very young looking medical students on placement with him. I said how, despite all that's happened, the nursing care I've been receiving has led to a improvement in my overall condition. Also with the medication change, my blood pressure average readings resemble much more what he is happy with, after a long spell of being elevated worryingly. Nursing care or pills? Both, I reckon. Then back to the Riverside Health Surgery in the afternoon for a dressing change - every other day, now things seem to be a bit steadier.

We went to Chapter Arts Centre to see a movie this evening 'The Favourite'. Described as a black comedy in the ethos of the Restoration period, relating the story of eccentric Queen Anne and her women lovers. It was superbly filmed period costume drama with brilliant acting and direction, no doubt destined for high filmic honours. The script was coarse, witty, sometimes funny, but I found it lacked any content to uplift or inspire me. There's nothing new to learn about being from the details of decadent lives notable for unabated vicious intrigue that I feel I need to know. Royal voyeurism as entertainment? We stoop so low. Are we so bored with ordinary decent lives? It's not for me. A wasted evening, as far as I'm concerned.

We met choir friends Claus and Anna on our way into the movie theatre. We sat together, then after the show, invited them back home for 'Abendbrot' - bread cheese pickle and salad washed down with a bottle of Pflazer Spรคtburgunder from Lidl's - a favourite light red for all four of us. Anna told us of her programming plans for the next concert series. Unusual music, promising to be challenging and fun to sing. I hope I shall be able to rejoin rehearsals this time around. It would be a real tonic.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment